Wednesday 22 May 2013

Common Sandpiper

I was in Dublin last Friday (17/5/13) and paid a visit to Rogerstown Estuary in the afternoon. I was hoping to see the Short-eared Owl that was seen there the previous evening but it did not show up.   I had distant views of Red Kite and Buzzard but neither were in photo range.  There was a steady passage of Whimbrel through the area and a flock of about 25 Common Terns were roosting on the mudflats.  I also came across a Wheatear that had the curious habit of taking to the trees when flushed.

I then moved to the Swords Estuary at Broadmeadows. Here many of the birds were in photo range and I got good views of a lone Common Sandpiper, a nervous species that I have always found difficult to get close enough to for a good shot.



Common Sandpiper ©Tom Tarpey

There was also a flock of Black-tailed Godwits feeding close to road, a few of which were in summer plumage.  A few Common Terns were roosting near the Gull flock in the middle of the estuary. Resident birds included several pairs of Shelduck.


Black-tailed Godwit   ©Tom Tarpey


Common Terns  ©Tom Tarpey




Shelduck ©Tom Tarpey




1 comment:

  1. Nice blog Tom, I see you got to 2 of my new haunts. The SEO you were looking for is dead, found last week by another birder. I was thought the owl didn`t look the best when the shots were taken.

    ReplyDelete